Friday, January 25, 2008

Tolerance and why I don't care for the phrase.

I cringe every time I hear someone use the word tolerant in reference to race relations in this country. It's not that I don't think that there is anything wrong with the word; it is the context in which it is used. "We need to be more tolerant of others," I hear it all the time. Well do me a favor please don't be tolerant of me, I don't need you to tolerate me, and I certainly don't think that when it comes to race relation we need to tolerate anyone. Either accept them or don't and move on.

You see, tolerance to me says that their is something fundamentally wrong or offensive with that which you are tolerating. Like some pungent cheese you don't like, but you tolerate so as not to offend your host who serves it. People aren't stinky cheeses. Gay people, as a for instance, don't need to have their lives tolerated, if you don't like them then just don't like them. Move your ignorant ass somewhere else, but please don't don't be so condescending as to tolerate them. Tolerating also says that you are somehow above that which you are tolerating. How arrogant to assume that the way you were born is somehow better than a fellow human being, and so therefore you "tolerate" them.

Allow me to say that I don't tolerate the people who believe that they are somehow doing us all a favor by tolerating all of the other races in our country. In fact, I don't like you. I'm not going to tolerate or not tolerate you, I am just not going to deal with your nonsense anymore. You will either become accepting or in the near future you may find yourself the one that people won't tolerate anymore. Later.

No comments: